Des Moines Concours d’Elegance is Sunday, September 7, with auxiliary events planned Friday, September 5 and Saturday, September 6. This is the first year the event will be held in Western Gateway Park, on the streets surrounding the John and Mary Pappajohn Sculpture Park. Vintage and antique car enthusiasts and are encouraged to take part.
“The Des Moines Concours d'Elegance is an exhibition—and celebration—of collectible automobiles,” says Daryl Metzger, Committee Co-chair of the Des Moines Concours d’Elegance. “Attendees of this event will experience first-hand the fine art, design evolution and amazing innovations of motor vehicles throughout the years.”
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Friday, September 5
- “Drive” Art Exhibition Opening Night Celebration 7-10 p.m.
- Location: Viaduct Gallery at the Des Moines Social Club
- Admission: Free. Thirty-seven local artists submitted more than 100 different works of art representing any and all visual interpretations of the word “Drive.” All art in the exhibit is available for purchase.
Saturday, September 6
- Heartlands Driving Tour 7:30 a.m.
- Location: Departs from the Iowa State Capitol (Finkbine Drive on the west side of the building) and will travel to Karl’s Performance Shop (5927 NE Industry Drive, Des Moines) and Denny Albaugh’s Private Collection (1525 NE 36th Street, Ankeny)
- Admission: $30 per person. Advance reservations required. Includes tour of both locations and lunch.
Sunday, September 7
- Des Moines Concours d’Elegance 10 a.m.-4 p.m. & Awards Presentations 2-4 p.m.
- Location: Western Gateway Park, surrounding the John & Mary Pappajohn Sculpture Park
- Admission: Free and open to the public.
Nearly 150 motor vehicles will be showcased, including the following classes: Rolls-Royce and Bentley, Chrysler/Mopar (1924-1964), Mustang 50th Anniversary, Prewar Classics (1917-1942), Postwar Classics (1946-1964), Prewar Collectibles (1917-1942), Postwar Collectibles (1946-1964), Antiques (through 1916), Preservation Class, Exotics and Vintage Motorcycles (through mid-1970s).
Proceeds from the 2014 Des Moines Concours d’Elegance will benefit the Children’s Cancer Connection. The Concours is produced by the Iowa Automotive Heritage Foundation, a not-for-profit corporation organized to promote and enhance the artistic, social and economic benefits of our automotive heritage.
For more information about Concours d’Elegance, visit desmoinesconcours.com or contact Daryl Metzger at (515) 244-2111 or email@example.com. For information on the Heartlands Driving Tour contact Ron Hoyt at (515) 202-3089 or go to desmoinesconcours.com for registration information.