DES MOINES, Iowa (March 15, 2021) – As the days get longer and more vaccines become available, recent studies show that people are increasingly optimistic about the prospect of travel. Accordingly, Catch Des Moines, the region’s convention and visitors bureau, has ramped up marketing efforts and released a new series of travel itineraries called The Catch List. The 14 itineraries include on-the-go downloadable versions, spotlight more than 100 local businesses, and include topics like Art Adventures, Foodie Feast, Family Fun, and even a Socially Distanced itinerary.
“We are starting to see signs of progress and a return to normalcy,” said Greg Edwards, President & CEO at Catch Des Moines, who cites the recent state wrestling and basketball tournaments as positive indicators on the road to recovery. “We’ve proven that we can host visitors and events safely and comfortably without sacrificing amenities and enjoyment, which makes us an attractive destination for both leisure and business travel.”
After limiting their marketing outreach (focused on supporting local) to Greater Des Moines the past year, Catch Des Moines is beginning to advertise to leisure travelers in familiar markets such as Omaha, Kansas City, and Minneapolis. They have also ramped up efforts to attract meetings who may not be able to, or not be comfortable with, hosting in larger cities.
“Whether people are comfortable traveling right now, they’re beginning to plan, and we want to be top of mind as they ease back in,” said Brock Konrad, VP of Marketing. “The Catch List makes the planning part easy not only for visitors, but locals who are anxious to explore everything that they love about the region. Greater Des Moines is that sweet spot of safe and fun.”
According to recently released traveler sentiment research by Destination Analysts:
- 84% of adults have at least tentatively planned a leisure trip in 2021, and 54% have something planned for the next three months.
- 64% say they are ready to travel, which is up from under 50% in December.
- 48% feel comfortable going out to restaurants, attractions, and local activities, which is the highest number since the pandemic started.
- A new survey from APCO Insights show 81% of professionals who attended in-person meetings pre-pandemic miss doing so and would be just as likely — if not more likely — to attend in-person in the future.
- A new Global Travel Trends Report by American Express shows that 69% of adults are interested in visiting “Second City”, lesser known destinations such as Des Moines.
You can view The Catch List itineraries at www.catchdesmoines.com/catchlist.
About Catch Des Moines
Catch Des Moines is the official destination marketing organization promoting and representing Greater Des Moines to leisure travelers and meeting/sports planners. Our focus is to increase visitors to the metro and elevate the visitor experience to drive economic success and enhance the quality of life in the 15 local Greater Des Moines communities we represent. For more information, visit catchdesmoines.com.