Catch some green in Greater Des Moines. Now an integral part of the meetings industry. And an important component to planners. Catch the resources available to green up your event!
The state of Iowa ranks 29th nationally for the total number of commercial buildings that are LEED certified or are pursuing LEED certification. Catch the eco-friendly spot that’s perfect for your event!
Iowa Events Center
Catch Green Locally
Dollars available to help you become green
Green RU is a local “zero waste” recycler of organics and food scraps. They offer complete recycling services and can provide carts and/or bins, training, signage and a complete selection of compostable dinnerware, trash liners and flatware. Their products are all ASTM D6400 certified and are 100% biodegradable and compostable.
Catch Sustainable Meeting Tips
- Save Money - Provide reusable water bottles to fill at several water stations located throughout the conference. (Sponsors can help in this area - label bottles or cooler itself).
- Green Signage - Use generic signage throughout the conference that can be reused for several years. Or utilize flat screens when available.
- Give Back- Catch our food rescue teams who will collect and distribute food to people in need through local social service organizations.
- Ship Smart - Reduce shipping impacts by purchasing locally (link to suppliers webpage), working with sustainable shippers and using less packaging.
- Eat Green - Include vegetarian meals, and have meals planned using local, seasonal produce.
- Buy Bulk - Serving condiments in bulk is less expensive than individual serving packages. Bulk cream is 62% cheaper and bulk sugar is 50% cheaper than single serving packets.
- Save Energy - Coordinate with the meeting venue to ensure that energy lights and air conditioning will be turned off when rooms are not in use.
Catch a Green Ride
B-cycle – Launched in the fall of 2010, Des Moines’ bike-sharing program has grown to six stations downtown and has saved over 42,847 of CO2 from the air.
Questions? Contact Paulette Lester:
Director of Convention Services