Central Iowa Sports Awards have been awarded to the following:
- Female Athlete of the Year: Katie Flood, Dowling Cross Country
- Male Athlete of the Year: Harrison Barnes, Ames Basketball
- Play of the Year: Morgan Hoeg, Waukee, Walk-off Homerun against Valley
- Game of the Year: Marshalltown Football, Marshalltown vs. Dowling
- Team of the Year: Dowling Catholic Cross Country
- Female Athlete of the Year: Alison Lacey, Iowa State Basketball
- Male Athlete of the Year: Craig Brackins, Iowa State Basketball
- Play of the Year: Jesse Smith, Iowa State Football, Interception vs. Nebraska
- Game of the Year: Iowa State University Football, Iowa State University vs. Nebraska
- Team of the Year: Drake University Men’s Soccer
- Athlete of the Year: Justin Hartwig, Pittsburg Steelers
- Event of the Year: Nationwide NASCAR Race
- Jim Williams, Dowling Football
Video of the awards banquet will air on Mediacom Connections Channel 22 on a date that is still to be determined. Photos will appear on DesMoinesSports.com in March.
Central Iowans cast their votes for individuals and teams who have pursued athletic excellence with honor in 2009, within a 75-mile radius of Principal Park. The Central Iowa Sports Awards’ Honor Committee reviewed the nominees and asked the public to vote for their top choices via the DMASC website in early February. From those votes, the Honor Committee named the above winners.
The Central Iowa Sports Awards’ Honor Committee is made up of: Des Moines Area Sports Commission Vice President of Sports and Development Al Lorenzen, The Des Moines Register Sports Editor Bryce Miller, ABC5 Sports Director John Walters, KCCI NewsChannel 8 Sports Director Andy Garman, WHO-TV Channel 13 Sports Director Keith Murphy, 1460 KXNO’s Ken Miller and Iowa Sports Connection’s Mike Rickord.