The 2017 Wonder of Words Festival will celebrate the written word with local and national authors in Downtown Des Moines on Saturday, April 22. The Festival will take place indoors from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Des Moines Public Library’s Central Library, 1000 Grand Ave. in Downtown Des Moines. The lineup will feature best-selling and nationally-renowned authors including:
• Carol Lewis, author of “Ida, Always,” which The New York Times Book Review called “an example of children’s books at their best.”
• Debra Prinzing, author of “Snow Flowers,” which has led a movement encouraging people to look local for their floral needs.
• Maureen Corrigan, book critic for NPR’s “Fresh Air,” columnist for The Washington Post, critic-in-residence at Georgetown University and author of “Leave Me Alone I’m Reading” and “So We Read On: How The Great Gatsby Came to Be and Why it Endures.”
The event will also feature a number of special activities and workshops, including:
• Morning yoga and reading with Andy Douglas, author of “The Curve of the World: Into the Spiritual Heart of Yoga.”
• An interactive Des Moines Writers’ Workshop.
• A publishing panel hosted by the Des Moines Writers’ Workshop.
• A workshop led by Kar Gustafson, owner of Curtain Call Kids. The workshop will show kids and adults how to take characters off the pages of their favorite fairy tales and bring them to life on stage.
• The MidAmerican Children’s Book Nook will feature story times with Everybody Wins! Iowa, local illustrator Nathan Wright, local author Ricky Dragoni and royal visits from a surprise princess. Additionally, Gustafson of Curtain Call Kids will lead an exclusive opportunity to write, practice and perform an original musical in just 90 minutes.
• Storytelling for Kids and Grown Ups with Maureen Korte, a professional storyteller. This morning workshop will give way to a children’s competition and adult completion in the afternoon.
• A Festival Bookstore will feature a selection of books from Beaverdale Books written by both local and nationally acclaimed authors presenting at The Festival.
The Wonder of Words Festival is made possible by its sponsors: Prairie Meadows, Des Moines Public Library, MidAmerican Energy, Voya Financial, Bankers Trust, Bravo Greater Des Moines, Knapp Properties Inc., Meredith Corporation and More 104.1.
For more information including the 2017 lineup, visit WonderOfWordsFest.com