Science Center of Iowa & Blank IMAX Dome Theater - September 30, 2017 - April 18, 2018
If you think you know T. rex… think again.
Tyrannosaurs: Meet the Family explores the most feared and revered of all dinosaurs in new and different ways.
While the most famous is the mighty T. rex, tyrannosaurs came in all shapes and sizes and from all over the globe, and their history goes back over 100 million years. New tyrannosaurs like the crested Guanlong from China will change and challenge our understanding of the evolution of these iconic, well-loved dinosaurs.
The exhibition’s specimens are not only spectacular in scale and form, but also reveal some of the most significant discoveries in paleontology over the past decade.Tyrannosaurs offers visitors a look at rare and magnificent real fossils but also reconstructs the life-sized skeletons of these terrifying carnivores like you’ve never seen before.
- What is a tyrannosaur? Discover how tyrannosaurs fit into the dinosaur family tree and explore the key features that define a tyrannosaur.
- Meet the Family. Immerse yourself in a large-scale projection experience and see how tyrannosaurs came in a range of sizes and shapes.
- Explore the Family. Discover how natural selection, continental drift and climate change facilitated tyrannosaur transformation from carnivores little bigger than ourselves to massive top predators.
- T.rex – The Ultimate.Learn what makes T. rex one of the most formidable predators that ever lived… and be ready for a few surprises
- Tyrannosaurs – The Legacy. Tyrannosaurs lived for 100 million years and were some of the largest and most successful predators ever. Despite their final demise during one of Earth’s biggest mass extinction events, tyrannosaurs live on – in our imagination, our culture and in their bird cousins in our backyards.
In addition to the U.S. premiere exhibit (open now!), here are some upcoming dinosaur-themed programs and events:
- October 6 - Mixology Night: Prehistoric Happy Hour (21+ event) Learn more
- October 10 - Cafe Scientifique: Old Bones, New Discoveries (Free event) Learn more
- October 11 & 14 - Pint Size Science: Dinosaur Bones (ages 2-6) Learn more
Tyrannosaurs: Meet the Family was developed by the Australian Museum and is toured internationally by Flying Fish. SCI will host the U.S. premiere exhibition September 30, 2017, through April 22, 2018, thanks in part to support from Presenting Sponsor EMC Insurance and Exhibit Partner
Monday closed; Tues - Sat 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Sun 12 p.m. - 5 p.m. (Labor Day - Memorial Day)
Open Mon - Sat 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Sun ; Sun 12 p.m. - 5 p.m. (Memorial Day - Labor Day)