< Back To Previous Page

Festival Cinco de Mayo

  • Historic Valley Junction
  • Address: 200 & 300 blocks of 5th Street, West Des Moines, IA 50265
  • May 6, 2017
  • 12:00 PM to 10:00 PM
  • Phone: (515) 222-3642
Overview

Celebrating the Mexican heritage of many railroad workers during the establishment years of Valley Junction, this festival is an opportunity to recognize the Mexican community who helped James Jordan’s vision of bringing the railroad to the Des Moines area become a reality. In honor of our strong heritage, we will also present a proclamation and announcement of our Cinco de Mayo King and Queen.

Valley Junction was established in 1846 when its first settler, James Jordan arrived. The name Valley Junction was chosen because it was located in the valley of the Raccoon River and served as the junction for the railroad. By 1900, the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad had moved its operation to the area. After the railroad boom ended, Valley Junction slowed its pace and changed its official name to West Des Moines in 1938. Many family members of the original railroad workers still live in the Valley Junction area today.

Festival Cinco de Mayo