We want to help YOU make the most out of your extra day this year. Here are a few ideas on how you can spend Saturday, February 29th.
1) Cheer on the Drake Bulldogs as they face off against UNI at 5 p.m. It's the last regular-season game for both teams, who will claim victory? Don't miss out on cheering on Des Moines' hometown team, find event details here.
2) Attend MMA Live at HyVee Hall from 8 - 11 p.m. "The Fight Series" returns to Greater Des Moines to give viewers only the best action-packed entertainment with the Men's Lightweight Championship as well as Women's MMA.
3) Shop local at the Midwest Local Vendor Market at the Outlets of Des Moines from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. The market features a wide array of unique items, including home décor, jewelry, clothing, repurposed items, nutritional + wellness products, handcrafted crochet + knitted pieces, baked goods, spa items and more.
4) Experience an interactive magic show on your leap day! "The Amazing Max" is at the Temple for Performing Arts from 11 a.m.- noon, and there is a sensory-friendly performance at 2 p.m. It'll be a show that the whole family will enjoy!
5) Listen to live music from The Nadas at Wooly's at 9 p.m. This alternative, rock, folk quintet is based in Des Moines. With original songs and occasional covers, you won't want to miss this group. End your leap day with a rocking performance!
6) Watch the Tony-award winning Broadway musical, "Anastasia" at the Des Moines Civic Center. While being chased by a Soviet officer who is determined to silence her, Anya enlists the aid of a dashing conman and a lovable ex-aristocrat. This show will transport you from the Russian Empire to Paris in the 1920s as a brave woman sets out to discover the mystery of her past.
7) Create with your loved ones at the Des Moines Art Center for "Family Workshop: Sculpting in Space" from 9:30 a.m. - 11 a.m. Then, visit the exhibition by Karla Black and learn about her sculptures that make use of everyday materials such as toothpaste, makeup and lotion.
8) Dress down for a night of fun at Smash Park's "Leap Year Pajama Jam" from 6 p.m. - midnight. Wear your regular pajamas, or bring out that one-of-a-kind onesie for a chance to win the costume contest. Grab your friends and enjoy drink specials, a live DJ and entertainment. This is a 21+ event.
9) Gaze in wonderment at the magic of "Tinker Bell" at the Des Moines Community Playhouse. Witness the origin of one of the most famous fairies in literature, from her first encounters with cherished children's characters like Peter Pan, Captain Hook, and Wendy Darling, to her triumph at the Battle for Neverland.
10) Jam out at the 8th Annual Des Moines Area Bluegrass Festival at the Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center in Johnston. Listen to tunes by The Bluegrass Blondies, Casey & the Atta Boys, The Anderegg Family, Spring Street Bluegrass, and Riverbend Bluegrass! In addition, attend jam sessions and workshops at this one-of-a-kind event!
11) BONUS - an extra activity for your extra day!
Tap into some of the best Iowa craft beer that Greater Des Moines has to offer with the Brew Moines beer passport app! Use your extra day to check into more brewery stops and be one step closer to earning your Brew Moines-ian status. Once you've checked in to all the breweries you will be entered to win a Brewcation for two!