Small Business Resources
- Iowa Small Business Relief Fund – New fund to provide financial assistance to small businesses and tax deferrals to Iowa businesses economically impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- SBA Disaster Loan Assistance - Federal Disaster Loans providing small businesses with working capital loans of up to $2 million that can provide vital economic support to small businesses to help overcome the temporary loss of revenue they are experiencing.
- Iowa Workforce Development – Unemployment insurance, benefits, paid leave information, and temporary job opportunities.
- Greater Des Moines Partnership Resource Hub – Business planning and preparedness, employment resources, virtual events and webinars, and government public policy information.
- Destinations International Travel Industry Resource Hub – Webinars, crisis communications, and industry resources for those in the travel industry, including hotels and meeting facilities.
- Restaurant Workers Community Foundation - Providing direct relief for restaurant workers, non-profit organizations, and loans for restaurants
- Polk County Health Department, Dallas County Health Department, & Warren County Health Services – COVID-19 resources with FAQs, healthcare providers, and school and business information
- Iowa Department of Public Health – Mitigation strategies, cases by county, healthcare resources
- Iowa.gov – Comprehensive site with the current status of the crisis, updates and guidance from Governor Reynolds, prevention tips, and helpful resource links
- Center for Disease Control – Current situation summary, how to protect yourself, what to do if you think you’re sick, resources for travel, guidance for mass gatherings, schools and childcare, business and employers, and community and faith-based organizations
- World Health Organization – Travel advice, situation reports, media research and mythbusters
- US Travel Association – Emergency preparedness and advice, along with healthy travel practices
Lend a Helping Hand
- Volunteer Iowa – COVID-19 volunteer opportunities, including blood donations and opportunities through United Way
- Des Moines How Can I Help You? – a Facebook group that seeks to connect those in need with those willing to give
- Virtual Tip Jar - an initiative encouraging the central Iowa community to tip your regular service industry professionals and allows you to search for individual servers, baristas and bartenders by establishment
- Food Bank of Iowa - Food Bank of Iowa partners with agencies around the state to feed hungry Iowans.
- Donate Blood - The surgeon general asks those who are able to please donate blood due to a severe shortage. LifeServe Blood Center offers multiple locations in Greater Des Moines to donate blood.
- Disaster Recovery Fund - This fund, organized by the Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines, is to help those who are most impacted by the COVID-19 concerns.
- DSM Local Challenge – Support local restaurants, hotels, retailers, museums, and theaters with takeout or delivery, gift cards or donations. Post to social media with #DSMlocalchallenge and tag three friends to do the same!
- Paw It Forward: the Animal Rescue League of Iowa is offering a pet food pantry to help families keep their pets. Email the ARL for details or to donate.
- 2-1-1: the United Way of Central Iowa is encouraging Iowans in need to call 2-1-1 for help finding needed resources and human services 24/7/365.
- Digital Library Card: The Des Moines Public Library is offering temporary digital library cards good for three months of access to digital materials including books, magazines, The Washington Post and New York Times.
- Free music classes for middle schoolers: The Greater Des Moines Music Coalition is offering free online music classes for kids in sixth - eighth grade. Classes will include a mix of video lectures, assignments, one-on-one lessons, and live Zoom classes.