Summer in Des Moines is an adventure. A relaxing getaway. Unlimited shopping and hidden gems. Catch these top things to know looking ahead this summer in Des Moines:
- Adventureland Park and Adventure Bay water park is open for the season. A new ride, the Storm Chaser, coming in June.
- Did you know: Prairie Meadows offers free live entertainment in the Finish Line Lounge after most thoroughbred and quarter horse races.
- Homemakers Furniture has a new summer marketplace, available for a limited time.
- Iowa Speedway has only two more major race weekends this summer! Don’t miss out, with tickets starting at $20.
- The Iowa State Fair has announced its Grandstand lineup. Acts will include Florida Georgia Line, Lady Antebellum, Foreigner, Styx, the stars of A&E’s Duck Dynasty and more!
- The countdown begins; only 104 days until the Broadway show Phantom of the Opera takes the stage at Des Moines Performing Arts.
- New exhibit alert: the Science Center of Iowa’s new Small Discoveries platform is perfect for the little ones to explore and learn in a fun environment—from numbers and colors to giant bubbles!
- Jordan Creek Town Center is growing. New stores on the rise include Nordstrom Rack, Lush, Bar Louie, Hot Mama and a Microsoft specialty retail shop.
- New to Blank Park Zoo this summer, catch the Bactrian camels. Rides available for kiddie fun.
- Did you know: admission to the Des Moines Art Center is free!
- Valley West Mall will host Family Night throughout the summer, with special guests Snow White, Batman, Tinkerbell and even live zoo animals.
- Did you know: more than 100 hot air balloons will fly the sky at the National Balloon Classic in 2014. Dates are set for July 25 – August 2.
- Did you know: the Des Moines Arts Festival features more than 135 artists from across the U.S. and has been named in the Top 10 Fairs or Festivals list by AmericanStyle Magazine?
- The 2014 lineup for 80/35 Music Festival will feature Conor Oberst and Ziggy Marley, plus more headlining acts on free stages throughout the fest, July 4-5.
For exclusive deals, a summer giveaway and more, go to catchdesmoines.com/summer. I can’t wait to get out and experience Greater Des Moines this summer! What’s on your must-do list?