Des Moines Rankings
- Des Moines ranks top 6 for Cities where startups are thriving (November 28, CNN Money)
- Iowa is #5 on Best Run States List (November 27, Yahoo)
- Clive ranked in Top 10 Small Towns (September 20, Livability.com)
- Iowa is the #3 best state to be young in America (August 28, Business Insider)
- Des Moines Farmers' Market listed as one of 9 U.S. farmers markets every food lover should visit (August 7, Mother Nature Network)
- Adventureland Park Makes List of 15 Favorite Midwest Amusement Parks (August 1, Midwest Living)
- Des Moines is #6 best city for successful aging (July 31, Yahoo Finance)
- Des Moines #1 best city for families (July 25, Kiplinger)
- Des Moines announced as a Runner Friendly Community Recipient by the Road Runners Club of America (June 27, Road Runners Club of America)
- Des Moines is the fourth best city for business and careers (June 27, Forbes)
- Des Moines is #2 for strongest local economy (May 31, POLICOM)
- Downtown Farmers' Market Named One of America's Best Farmers' Market (March, Country Living)
- Des Moines #2 City for Jobs (February, Forbes)
- Downtown Des Moines Farmers Market one of the best farmers markets in America (February, Country Living Magazine)
- Des Moines Ranked #3 for jobs for 2012 (December, Forbes)
- Des Moines #3 Best City for Business (December 13, MarketWatch)
- Des Moines is Greenest City (December issue, Self Magazine)
- Iowa ranks in top five of "best run" states (November 29, 247WallSt.com)
- Des Moines Named Age-friendly city (October 11, World Health Organization's Global Network of Age-Friendly Cities)
- Gray's Lake Park Named One of America's "Great Public Spaces" (October 4, American Planning Association)
- Beaverdale Makes America's Prettiest Neighborhoods list (September 28, Forbes)
- KaBOOM! Names Ankeny Among 151 "Playful City USA" Communities (September 6, Kaboom)
- Urbandale, Johnston, Ankeny ranked in top 100 cities to live (August 15, CNN Money Magazine)
- Iowa ranks 2nd in America in Volunteerism (August 9, Volunteering in America report released by the Corporation for National and Community Service)
- Adventureland and Adventure Bay named one of America's Top 10 Water Parks (August 3, TripAdvisor)
- Des Moines #1 City for Young Professionals (July 12, Forbes)
- Des Moines is rated the #2 place for business and careers by Forbes (June 29, Forbes)
- Iowa is first in the nation for cost of doing business, and among the top ten states for doing business overall(June 29, CNBC Special Report)
- U.S. News Says Des Moines is Richest Metro Area (June 2, U.S. News & World Report)
- Greater Des Moines ranks #2 in the Midwest and #16 nationwide for small business and population growth. (April 14, The Business Journals)
- Des Moines #5 Best Midwest Food Town. (March, Midwest Living)
- Des Moines named the best place to live on the Silicon Prairie, and one of 18 "coolest places to live in America."(March 8, Men's Journal)
- Des Moines ranked in the top 100 socially networked cities. (March 8, Men's Journal)
- Des Moines Arts Festival #7 on list of Top 10 Fairs and Festivals (February 2011, AmericanStyle Magazine)
- Des Moines metro ranks well on Farmers Insurance "most secure" list (February 11, Farmers Insurance Group)
- Wells Fargo Arena Receives Highest Ranking in Venue History (January 25, Pollstar Top 100 Worldwide Arena Venues)
- Des Moines placed No. 35 out of the 200 largest metro areas in the United States in national brainpower rankings(December 23, compiled by Portfolio.com and American City Business Journals Inc.)
- Des Moines fourth in ranking of best business cities (December 20, Marketwatch)
- Des Moines ranks in the top 10 best cities for doing business for the second year in a row (December 20, Market Watch).
- Des Moines metro economy again rated in top tier (December 16, desmoinesregister.com)
- Des Moines among the top 10 American cities best situated for recovery (November 8, newsweek.com)
- Des Moines/West Des Moines rank #6 best cities to move to in America (October 27, Bestplaces.net)
- Iowa ranks 3rd as best run state in the country (October 4, 24/7 Wall St.)
- Des Moines is #14 among most attractive metros (Aug/Sept, Area Development)
- Iowa ranks 5th best state for retirement in 2010 (MoneyRates.com)
- Iowa ranks 6th in survey of healthiest states for kids (July 27, Annie E. Casey Foundation)
- Iowa ranks 6th in the top ten for Top States for Business in 2010 (CNBC Special Report)
- Des Moines is No. 2 on the economic performance list (June, Brookings Institution)
- Des Moines receives its fifth All-America City award (June, National Civic League)
- Iowa ranks 2nd in most volunteered hours in the nation. Des Moines is the 6th most volunteered city in Iowa(June 16, Corporation for National and Community Service)
- Des Moines is #1 place to raise a family (June, Forbes)
- The #7 pick in Kiplinger's Best Cities 2010 is fertile ground for new jobs (July, Kiplinger)
- Des Moines is rated the #1 place for business and careers by Forbes after ranking 7th last year (April 13, Forbes)
- Des Moines-West Des Moines Metro Area in Top 25 U.S. Cities with the Most Energy Efficient Buildings (March 23, EPA)
- Iowa ranks 5th happiest state (February 16, Yahoo)
- Iowa ranks as a top 10 state for wellness (February 15, Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index)
- Des Moines #26 on list of happiest, healthiest people (February, Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index)
- Oprah included Iowa on her list of "100 Things That are Getting Better." Iowa was the only state to make the list.(January 27)
- Des Moines: John & Mary Pappajohn Sculpture Park listed as one of the 45 Best New Midwest Spots to Play, Eat & Stay (January, Midwest Living)
- Civic Center of Greater Des Moines ranks 17th in ticket sales in the Jan. 11, 2010 edition of Pollstar magazine's annual list of the top 100 worldwide theater venues - ahead of other Midwestern venues including St. Louis' Fabulous Fox Theatre (#23), Chicago's Chicago Theatre (#28) and Minneapolis' Orpheum Theatre (#38)! (January)
- Des Moines Ranks #2 as Most Secure Place to Live
- Des Moines was named the best city for business in 2009 by MarketWatch.
- Des Moines was ranked the 17th Strongest U.S. Metro Economy by Business Week
- Des Moines was ranked by Forbes.com as the 4th Best City in America where you can get the "Best Bang-for-the-Buck."
- Forbes.com ranked Iowa the 15th Healthiest State in America
- The League of American Bicyclists ranks Iowa #6 in the nation for bike-friendliness.
- In 2009, Iowa moved to #2 in wind energy among the 50 states, according to the American Wind Association. Iowa produces 2,883 megawatts of wind energy - enough to power roughly 670,000 homes.
- Des Moines is the highest-rated Midwest city for small market vitality according to an America City Business Journals, Inc. study. Des Moines is ranked 22 out of 100 largest metropolitan areas nationwide.
- Des Moines was recently ranked the #10 mid-sized metro with the best quality of life by BizJournals due to low traffic, strong homeownership and an educated workforce.
- In April 2009, Forbes.com ranked Des Moines as the #3 most livable city. Cities on the list were chosen due to quality of life measures in the nation's largest continental U.S. metropolitan statistical areas, including income growth per household, cost of living, crime data, leisure index and annual unemployment statistics.
- AmericanWay Magazine named the Downtown Farmers' Market a "Must-Visit Market" along with Union Square Market in New Your City, Portland, Oregon's Farmers' Market and Cincinnati, Ohio's Farmer's Market.
- The Des Moines Metro economy was rated the 14th-strongest in the nation in the first quarter of 2009, based on factors like employment, wages, home prices and foreclosures, according to a new report from the Brookings Institution.
- Forbes ranked Greater Des Moines as the 7th best place for Business and Careers. This ranking is based on multiple factors, including the cost of doing business, education, income, employment and housing indicators. This is the third year the region has been in Forbes Top 10.
- Greater Des Moines was ranked 5th in Site Selection magazine's list of "Top Metros" for populations of 200,000 - 1 million. This ranking is based on new construction and expansion projects.
- West Des Moines was ranked eighth in Business Week's "Best Affordable Suburbs" in the U.S., citing its low unemployment rate (3%), and violent crime index (21). The article also boasted of West Des Moines' highly-educated population and 16-minute average commutes.
- A New York Times column titled "Demi in Des Moines?" by Maureen Dowd described Iowa as "flyover country that's starting high-flying trends" and suggested Iowa may be the new California. Dowd also suggested that "The Dream Factory is being left in the dust by the Field of Dreams."
- Des Moines drivers rank 20th on America's Best Drivers Report. The list contains America's 200 largest cities in terms of car collision frequency.
- Urbandale ranks # 42 and Ankeny # 62 out of 100 best small towns in America, according to CNN Money's list.
- Ankeny is one of 22 cities around the country noted as a Playful City USA community for the third consecutive year.
- Greater Des Moines was named a city on the verge in Fast Company's High-Tech Hot Spots List. Only five cities were chosen to be included in this international listing.
Grinnell, Iowa was named the 3rd Coolest Small Town in America by Budget Travel magazine.
- Ragbrai #7 of 50 Best American Adventures in National Geographic Adventure.
- The famous Garbage Burger at Hickory Park Restaurant Co. was listed as one of the 50 best burgers in the countryby Food Network Magazine.
- According to the Small Business & Entrepreneurship Council, Iowa ranked 8th on the Council's Energy Cost Index. The index factors electricity cost and gas prices.
- CNBC ranks Iowa 4th in America's Top States for Business 2009. The rankings were based off categories such as cost of doing business, education and the cost of living.
- Iowa rated 8th in the nation for economic growth in 2008, according to the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis. Iowa's gross domestic product increased 2.1 percent, boosted primarily by farming. Overall, gross domestic product for all 50 states grew just 0.7 percent last year, down from 2 percent growth in 2007.
- Iowa is the second-happiest state when it comes to money matters, according to a 2009 MainStreet.com.
- Iowa ranked fifth in the nation for volunteer service. Des Moines was among the top 10 cities in the country based on volunteer rates, according to a report by the Corporation for National and Community Service. Iowa was the only state to have three cities in the top ten overall rankings. Des Moines was ranked 10th in the nation with a volunteer rate of 38.2%.
- Des Moines was ranked the most affordable city to host a tradeshow by Tradeshow Week.
- The city is also the sixth best place to raise a family by Best Life magazine.
- Des Moines was ranked 25th on the Milken Institute's Economic Growth List for 2008, and was the only Midwestern city in the top 25.
- In October 2008, Des Moines was ranked fifth in the best markets to make money by the Today Show.
- Iowa is one of the least expensive states to vacation in according to AAA Living. The average cost of lodging and meals is $169.81 compared to a national average of $243.53.
- Greater Des Moines was ranked as the 4th best place for business and careers for the second year in a row byForbes.com.
- Des Moines has the greatest number of parks per square mile according to Prevention Magazine.
- The Civic Center of Greater Des Moines was ranked in the top 15 theaters in the world ahead of other Midwest theaters such as the Orpheum Theatre in Minneapolis and the Fabulous Fox Theater in St. Louis by Pollstar Magazine.
- Iowa ranks #2 nationally in cost of doing business by the Milken Institute.
- Greater Des Moines ranked 9th in Kiplinger's Personal Finance's top ten places to live.
- Des Moines ranked as number one in the country of best cities for clean drinking water by Forbes.com.
- Des Moines/West Des Moines is 5th in the category of best cities for relocating families ranked by the Worldwide ERC, the association for workforce mobility.
- Greater Des Moines ranked 6th in Best Life Magazine's best places to raise a family ranking. This was featured on the Today show in May.
- Family Circle Magazine named the city of Ankeny as one of the top 10 best towns for families in the United States.
- The Des Moines Arts Festival was ranked 7th in the Art Fair Source Book's list of top 20 art fairs.
- Prevention Magazine named Des Moines the number one walking city in Iowa.
- Des Moines is the 4th happiest city in the country for women. SELF Magazine looked at 100 metro areas to find the cities that are smartest about staying well.
- West Des Moines was included in Fortune Magazine's 100 best places to live and launch.
Iowa & Des Moines Trivia